[ale] Oddness from gcc and configure

Joe Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 23 14:19:49 EDT 2000

If you don't mind building gcc yourself, you can get
the whole deal (C,C++,Objective C, FORTRAN) from
ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc. As long as you follow
the INSTALL instructions carefully, it is usually
a very smooth build & install (although building all
of gcc does take a while - an hour or so on my K62-450,
and pretty much all day on my decrepit P75).
You almost certainly want gcc-2.95.2,tar.gz. The
gcc-core.*, gcc-g++.* etc files are for folks who want
to install support for individual languages; the
gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz file is everything in one tarball.
If your existing gcc is already 2.95.2, you might
get away with just building the gcc-g++ stuff, but
I've never tried it.

Re-emphasis: like I said, you do need to read
the INSTALL instructions carefully; don't just
blindly ./configure; make; make install. The
build directory and the --prefix config option
are important; you probably don't want the
defaults.

HTH,

-- Joe