[ale] Distro Blues (was Slackware user list?)

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.home.edu
Wed Aug 23 12:40:23 EDT 2000

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> I'm also getting fed up with Netscape's misbehavior.  Occasionally Netscape
> will "break" and won't even launch again until I log out and log back in.
>
> It really makes me wonder who's QAing these distro releases?

Microsoft??

> Think I should try SuSE/Mozilla next time?

My dist migration path has been:

slack->rh4.0->rh5.0->rh5.2->mandrake7.0->turbolinux 6.0->suse
6.4->mandrake7.1

Of all these variations, Suse is the only one that provided a completely
flawless install.  The otherside of that issue is that Suse puts stuff
in different places and names rpms differently, so it's difficult to
upgrade/make changes.  Someone once told me to install rpms via Yast,
but I've yet to figure that one out.  Whatever.  Currently I'm running
three Suse 6.4 and two Mandrake [7.0&&7.1].

I recently installed Linux on two p75/16meg machines via nfs.
TurboLinux and Mandrake both resulted in sig errors which trashed the
install.  I've since done two suse 6.4 nfs installs and both were
flawless.  It maybe that Mandrake and/or TurboLinux have specific memory
req., but I couldn't locate them too easily, so I'm not sure what the
problem was.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation