[ale] Slackware user list?

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Wed Aug 23 10:06:44 EDT 2000

Hi Jenn,

For most things, running is OK. However, the more closely the compiled
binary matches with the cpu the more efficient it can run. Things compiled
with i686 optomizations should run faster on a P6 than i386 stuff. The
important word is "should". If you system is running OK, don't worry about
it. If your system gets pounded on sometimes by user services,
optomization may help relieve some of the system stress by letting a
process get done quicker or with fewer resources. Still, though, the
biggest performance hit is in the code itself. It the code is sloppy, no
performance gains will be seen by compiling with P6 vs i386 flags.

JimK