[ale] Ethernet module questions

Dunlap, Randy randy.dunlap at intel.com
Tue Aug 22 18:27:09 EDT 2000

Let me be sure that I understand this.  Your laptop's port
replicator has an Ethernet jack and the Ethernet controller
inside it is based on the Kawasaki LSI (KLSI) USB-ethernet
controller?  Interesting.  Could also be the problem.

The kaweth driver only probes for a device when the USB
subsystem tells it to.  Are you using the USB subsystem?
If so, you are using the 2.2.x backport patch, right?
Most (all ?) USB-ethernet devices are external dongles, not internal
controllers.

What kind of laptop is it (brand, model)?

> I have compiled the module and placed it in /lib/modules/2.2.16
> (my current kernel). I have put an alias in /etc/modules.conf as
> such:
> alias kaweth eth1
>
> When I run insmod kaweth it loads, but comes up in lsmod as
> (unused).
>
> I'm running a red hat 6.2 setup, and have put eth1 in netcfg as
> a DHCP device. When I try and activate the interface I get the
> message delaying eth1 initialization. If I do an ifconfig eth1
> up, I get eth1: unknown interface: no such device.
>
> What have I missed? Any assistance greatly appreciated.
> --
> Blake Sorensen
> Pharsalia Technologies

Joe Knapka wrote:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
There may be module parameters (ioport, IRQ, etc.) that must
accompany the insmod command in order to enable the module to
detect the device properly. The required parameters should be
documented somewhere in the module source, but discovering
the proper values for your hardware is a different problem...
Windows Device Manager or isapnp (if it's a plug+play device) can
often tell you what you need to know.

-- Joe

I don't know about Blake's laptop, but USB devices don't have
I/O ports, IRQs, shared memory addresses, etc.
And surely this isn't an ISA PnP device...if it's a "modern"
notebook.

I downloaded the source code and compiled it.  (I don't have
a kaweth device.)
kaweth.c doesn't have any module parameters in it.
It does have a MODULE_AUTHOR() whom you could write to.

~Randy