[ale] Ethernet module questions

Blake Sorensen bsorensen at pharsalia.com
Mon Aug 21 14:51:03 EDT 2000

Okay, really stupid question. How do I setup a
module that is not part of the regular kernel distribution? I
have a module for the ethernet port in my laptop's port
replicator, but I have no idea what I need to do to get it
running.

I have compiled the module and placed it in /lib/modules/2.2.16
(my current kernel). I have put an alias in /etc/modules.conf as
such:
alias kaweth eth1

When I run insmod kaweth it loads, but comes up in lsmod as
(unused).

I'm running a red hat 6.2 setup, and have put eth1 in netcfg as
a DHCP device. When I try and activate the interface I get the
message delaying eth1 initialization. If I do an ifconfig eth1
up, I get eth1: unknown interface: no such device.

What have I missed? Any assistance greatly appreciated.
--
Blake Sorensen
Pharsalia Technologies