[ale] current pulled by computer power supply

Robert Stickel rstickel at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 21 11:31:47 EDT 2000

Getting a little off-topic here, but several people on this list have
discussed X10 home-control products with Linux and now that everyone is
rushing out to buy screw-in fluorescent bulbs, a little heads-up:

I tried controlling a screw-in fluorescent with an X10 appliance module
(not the lamp module) and it came on fine but when I switched it off
there was a bright flash and the bulb died.  Thinking it was a
coincidence, I tried again with a new bulb - same thing.  That's two
bulbs at about $15 each.

That's just my $30 ...

--bs

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> When I worked for the DOE, space heaters in the 1500W-range on our wing had
> the effect of dropping down the line voltage for an NT server to as low as
> under 90VAC.  Thank goodness the APC Smart-UPS I put on that machine had a
> step-up mode, because it sure needed it!
>
> I have put screw-in fluorescents in several key fixtures throughout my
> house.  Yes, they're a bit expensive (although Home Depot does carry a make
> that's significantly less expensive), but my motivations are twofold:
> reduce electrical consumption and reduce heat generation.
>
> Now that the unintended consequences of the deregulation of the electric
> utilities are coming home to roost, I think it's incumbent upon everyone to
> do *something* to reduce their electric consumption.  The alternative is
> enduring "rolling blackouts" of the sort that are already occurring in some
> parts of the country.
>
> - Jeff

Robert Stickel
rstickel at mindspring.com