[ale] Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:24:00 -0500

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Fri Aug 18 09:50:01 EDT 2000

Dan Newcombe writes:
 > On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:
 > > RMS made a big point about this a year or two ago.  For instance, the
 > > GNU readline library is GPL, not LGPL.  He said this was a way to
 > > force people to GPL their code.  LGPL should only be used for things
 >
 > more proof that RMS is just an idiot with blinders on

I think he is more of a genius with blinders on.  I don't happen to
agree with a lot of his opinions, but I think he is an incredibly
insightful person.  I try to read all his pronouncements of this sort
just to try to see how he thinks.  Yes, he has an idee fixe about
software freedom, but that is both his weakness and his strength.  If
he hadn't been so obsessed and consumed then Linux probably would not
exist as we know it.