[ale] assigning ip to second interface

Gary Maltzen maltzen at MM.COM
Wed Aug 16 23:08:51 EDT 2000

>tewkewl at mindspring.com wrote:
> >
> > A further note....
> >
> > 192.168 is used for autoconfiguration when a client is unable to obtain an ip address from dhcp... It would be a safer bet to change the netwrok number now before you get too deep into experimenting... :)
>
>Okay, someone set me straight.  I'm reading in front of me that Class C
>private addresses are in the range of 192.168.0.0 through
>192.168.255.255.  If this is correct, you shouldn't be seeing them via
>dhcp.  Has something changed?

Actually, it is 169.254.*.* that is used for device autoconfigure. This block is assigned to ISI.EDU and reserved for self-discovery. Devices using this are supposed to randomly pick an address in this block and poll to see if any other system is using the address, repeating this process with up to ten different addresses or until they find a free address.

RFC-1918 (reserved for private LAN) address blocks are
   10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
   172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
   192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255