[ale] assigning ip to second interface

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Aug 15 10:43:21 EDT 2000

I'll first admit I'm a bit ignorant here.  I've been doing a lot of
reading on firewalls and such, but, I'm still stumped...

I've got two nics in a single machine working now, I think. Problem is,
when I attempt to start the network for both cards, ifconfig complains
'unknown host' and won't start.  I'm not sure how it determines this.
Does this card have to have an ip that's on a different subnet?  I tried
to assign it an ip that would be on the same subnet as the other card.
(both in /etc/hosts and the configuration setup).

I'm not sure where this thing determines what a 'known host' is.  I've
added the second ip to the /etc/hosts file.

I can't find anything regarding this in the ethernet, net or firewall
howtos.  A pointer to the right doc would be appreciated.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation