[ale] Netscape weirdness

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Wed Aug 9 17:06:35 EDT 2000

Randy Janinda wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Time to tap into that 'good ole ALE support' ya'll have been
> discussing. Well not really, I just want others to verify something
> for me.
>
> I am running RH6.1 and using WindowMaker 0.61. I have lot's of
> shortcut keys assigned through WM and it led me to this 'discovery'.
> If I open Netscape and browse a page (any page), then click (and hold
> that click) on the scroll bar, then hold down ALT and then type '1'
> (on the letters side of the board), netscape will open a new window!
> This also has the effect of temporarily disabling ALL of the keyboard
> shortcuts I have. If you do the same steps but have 2 Netscape windows
> open, it acts like an 'ALT+Tab' between the two (and still disables the
> shortcuts).
>
> Is this a 'feature' or a bug?
> If a bug, then is it WM's, X's, or NS's?
>
> Can anyone recreate this on their systems? Just for the record I have
> been able to do this on the original version of NS installed with
> RH6.1 as well as the latest NS RPM from RH.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy

I use the Alt-2 combination all the time to open up the mail client once
the browser component is loaded.  The ability to bring up a new browser
window is a bug and shouldn't interfere with the other hotkeys you
have.  Under the communicator menu option, the Alt-<num> features are
listed next the their appropriate functions.

I like the Alt-n to bring up a new window if my thoughts get too
disracted and I begin a new 'thread'.

If netscape has the mouse focus, I'm sure it seems that it disables all
the other hotkeys.  Do you still lose the hotkeys if netscape doesn't
have the mouse focus?

- Scott
--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |
5:01pm up 3:39, 1 user, load average: 1.00, 1.01, 1.00