[ale] Insolence of those asking for FREE help on public lists

John Mills jmills at tga.com
Wed Aug 9 14:36:05 EDT 2000

David (and Jeremy) -

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, David S. Jackson wrote:

> I think Jeremy is talking about Newbies without manners.  Jeremy
> has always been quite free about helping out, and polite about it
> too.  In fact, this list has been more knowledgeable and helpful
> than just about any other source I can think of.  I think he's
> just lamenting that some people forget to say, "thanks anyway"
> when an answer didn't meet their needs.

Perhaps I responded to a few words of the note rather than its overall
sense. I have myself benefitted from Jeremy's suggestions in the past
(sometimes in response to my questions, and often in threads I only read),
and his responses have been helpful and thoughtful.

I certainly post a number of RSQs (Really Stupid ...), and I appreciate
getting started in the right direction from wherever I am.

I do appreciate the high quality advice and responsiveness of the ALE
list's writers.

Please excuse my missing the point.

   John Mills
   Sr. Software Engineer