[ale] Ghosting software

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Wed Aug 9 13:55:54 EDT 2000

I'll also take the opportunity to throw in my standard Ghost admonition:

IMHO, you're playing with fire whenever you take a Ghost image from one
machine and implant it into another, regardless of OS and regardless of how
"identical" you think the target machine is to the source machine.  I would
surmise that the risk is less with Win95/98 than it would be with NT or
Linux, but if the target machines start acting weird every once in a while -
i.e., locking up, oopsing, or giving you the ever-helpful "Aiee,..." (I love
that one!) it could be because a minor difference in rev level within
chipset, etc. existed that might have otherwise made the running kernel,
driver, module, etc. do something a little differently.  One could mitigate
this a bit by recompiling kernel and modules post-Ghost, I'd imagine.

When I was researching the use of Ghost for NT across a set of supposedly
identical desktops, one thing I noticed was that a couple of them had
different CD-ROM drives from the rest.  I thought that this would be a
difference that probably wouldn't amount too much, but it made me wonder
what less-obvious differences might exist that could really cause a problem
that would be nearly impossible to actually attribute to one specific thing?

Having said that, do any of you think I'm being paranoid about this?  I'm
open to flames.

- Jeff