[ale] Any free PPP-compliant ISPs out there?

Fulton Green me at FultonGreen.com
Tue Aug 8 14:08:40 EDT 2000

I was planning to use FreeWWWeb for Linux-compatible free dialup access while
waiting for ADSL to get installed. Then I got this nice little note from
Snap (FreeWWWeb's content provider) saying that FreeWWWeb wasn't providing
Internet access anymore, but that FreeWWWeb had worked out a deal with Juno
to transfer existing FreeWWWeb customers over to Juno.

Unfortunately, Juno still appears to be forcing proprietary (i.e., Windows-
only) software on its users. It clearly states on their site that you can't
access Juno mail through a POP3-compliant agent, and that the service isn't
available for Mac and/or Linux users.

Juno does have a DSL offering for $50/mo. that *might* be compatible with
Linux. Big whoop.

So in the meantime ... what are the alternatives for free (as in beer AND
freedom) dialup access? From the looks of it, the ISPs based on Spinway
software (incl. BlueLight.com and NBCi) as well as NetZero, AltaVista and
FreeDSL all appear to require one form or another of proprietary software.
Has anyone been able to "hack around" the software?

TIA!