[ale] Zip drive wierdness

Robert Stickel rstickel at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 8 10:50:31 EDT 2000

ALEers,

We have an old Mandrake 6.1 (Helios) system with an ATA Zip drive.
Everything was installed and working normally on a Pentium-Pro mobo.  We
recently swapped out the mobo for an AMD K6-2 board and everything still
works except the Zip.  We can format, read and write on the problem
system but can't exchange disks with any other box (i.e. disks that work
on other boxen show up as having bad partition tables, etc on the
problem box and vice versa).  It doesn't seem to be a drive problem - we
have swapped out the drive with one known to work and tried both primary
and secondary IDE controllers (hdb, hdd) with the same results.

Anybody seen anything like this?

Thanks,

--bob

Robert Stickel