[ale] Gnome Wierdness

Jennifer Taylor JMTaylor at wpo.co.chatham.ga.us
Fri Aug 4 11:32:49 EDT 2000

** Low Priority **

I've got a RH6.2 machine that has been upgraded from my one of my first few attempts at installing Linux, so I'm sure this problem is related to stupidity on my part.

If I flip back and forth between non-X virtual terminals and Gnome (I hate using terminals within Xwindows...just wierd that way), eventually Gnome freaks out and my mouse goes ballistic...everything locks up and the panels won't respond and it's just a mess.  The only thing I've been able to do is just ctrl-alt-bkspce to kill the x server.  I've tried with KDE as well, and to the best of my memory it happened there too.  I'm not much of an X windows sort of person, only use it for surfing really, so I don't know much about it.

Is there a way that I could exit more gracefully, or perhaps recover from this?  Anyone else ever had this problem?

Jenn