[ale] Network Utility

Neil C. Bright ncb at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 4 09:26:37 EDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 01:10:08PM -0400, Fletch wrote:

>     Joe> It'd be nice to be able to do this automatically. I bet you
>     Joe> could use tcpdump combined with some script code to collect
>     Joe> IP<-->hwaddr data. Of course that wouldn't tell you what
>
>         Ping each IP and then look at the output from `arp -an'.

You probably can also ping the broadcast address on that subnet.  You should
get a reply from all machines on that network.  Then do a diff against your
previous arp table to find changes.

+============ E3 75 6D 3F D8 CF B5 C7 79 D3 44 11 DE 08 9C 85 ============+
 Neil Bright       ncb at cc.gatech.edu     IHPCL / CNS Network Administrator
 (404) 385-0448                                       College of Computing
 http://www.cc.gatech.edu/projects/ihpcl   Georgia Institute of Technology