[ale] Network Utility

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Thu Aug 3 13:45:21 EDT 2000

Joe Knapka wrote:

> Bob Kruger wrote:

> Either ipconfig or winipcfg should tell you what you
> need to know.
>
> It'd be nice to be able to do this automatically. I bet you
> could use tcpdump combined with some script code to collect
> IP<-->hwaddr data. Of course that wouldn't tell you what
> user's machine the address belonged to. Ah, well.

This crude little script I wrote does just that.  It pings a series of
numbers in a subnet.  If the ping is successful, I then do an "arp -a"
for the IP, and collect the hardware address.  I then use the cut
command to get the info, and can either display it to the screen or pop
it to a SQL database that can be accessed with ODBC.

Bob