[ale] Grepping on the access_log

Strider Centaur strider at scifi-fantasy.com
Tue Aug 1 19:43:17 EDT 2000

    Does the user have Directory Permissions?  Setting a files permissions does
not help you if the user does not have permission to access the directory and all
the directories above it.  Linux/Unix permission are inherited ( I believe that's
what they call it ) from the parent directories.

Patman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if I was doing anything wrong.  I can't seem to grep on
> my webserver's access_log (/var/log/httpd/access_log) if I'm logged in as
> a non-root user, even though I've set the file's permissions to 755.  Its
> owner/group is still root/root.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> I'm trying to execute a perl script from a webpage to grep the access_log
> and count the number of time a certain directory has been accessed.  When
> I run the script as root, it works wonderfully (Thanks, Jenn T!), but when
> the script is run from the webpage, or any non-root user, it does't work
> because the script is getting a "permission denied" message.
>
> Amy I missing some step or is it just not possible?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Pat

Strider Centaur
HTTP://www.Scifi-Fantasy.com

   " It is my observation that unless you really understand the issues, you are
hardly in a position to criticize.   Nearly all Linux users have used Windows,
but very few Windows users have used Linux. " -- Me