[ale] Grepping on the access_log

Patman patman at io.com
Tue Aug 1 19:11:27 EDT 2000

Hi,

I was wondering if I was doing anything wrong.  I can't seem to grep on
my webserver's access_log (/var/log/httpd/access_log) if I'm logged in as
a non-root user, even though I've set the file's permissions to 755.  Its
owner/group is still root/root.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to execute a perl script from a webpage to grep the access_log
and count the number of time a certain directory has been accessed.  When
I run the script as root, it works wonderfully (Thanks, Jenn T!), but when
the script is run from the webpage, or any non-root user, it does't work
because the script is getting a "permission denied" message.

Amy I missing some step or is it just not possible?

Thanks in advance.

Pat