[ale] [Fwd: AMD 450, mobo weirdness, also mp3 decoding]

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 30 15:03:45 EDT 1999

Frank -

One line of inquiry I would take would be to put the original memory back in.
I know from personal experience that some mobos and some RAM just do not
cooperate even though the specs appear to be OK and a bad SIMM/DIMM can't be
isolated.  There may be something else wrong, mind you, but I'd try putting
the original two 64MB SIMMs back in just to see if the problem persists.  If
not, then I'd recommend either leaving it like that or seeing out a 128MB DIMM
of
different origin.

I had a situation once with a dual Pentium Pro/200 I had built that was like
that.  I had four 32MB SIMMs and the computer would boot NT and run for a
while, then freeze or BSOD after just a few minutes.  I could stick in any two
of the four (at 64MB) and have no problem - but using all four simply would
not work.  The vendor who sold me the mobo, RAM, and CPUs offered to trade out
the RAM for some from a different manufacturer, and I never had the problem
again.

- Jeff