[ale] [Fwd: AMD 450, mobo weirdness, also mp3 decoding]

fzamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Thu Sep 30 08:34:02 EDT 1999

--------------C883C0DA93C373A39A25D574

Hi group.

I recently upgraded an odd mobo from an AMD K6 3D 300 to an AMD  K6-2
450 and swapped out the (2) 64mg SIMMs with a single pc100 128mg DIMM
(whew, have those DIMM prices gone up or what?!), and afterwards, the
WinNT4 that I used to primarily run on that box BSOD'd forever more.
Refused to run, refuses to reload, also. Tried six or so times to reload
-- hey, never say die! -- all to no avail . So I finally gave up and
died. :-) Wouldn't have likely even bothered except job direction is
going NT and it requires my being very familair with it. Tsk... so onto
the home machine it went several months ago. But enough of that,  and
for whatever reason it won't  load anymore, I consider it actually a
blessing in disguise, as I popped in my RH6.0 drive and  RH runs very
nicely on that 'upgraded' PC, and I get to play around with Linx some
more and hopefully start honing some general Unix skills again. Also
using Gnome, primarily. Kinda nice.

Right now I'm rediscovering and playing around with the Netscape 4.51
that comes with RH6.0, and so far I've not yet discovered a convenient
way to occasionally decode an mp3 from usenet. I have to admit IE5 and
Outlook Express makes it very easy to combine and decode a series of
files, and I have to beleive that Netscape under RH6 also has this
capability, but I've not found it yet nor does their help stuff describe
this capability. Any suggestions short of doing the uudecode bit at the
cmnd line?

As for the bargain basement motherboard: it's called an M590 super
socket 7 pc100 with 1mb onboard cache. CPU parameters are set in BIOS
either automatically or manually. Thing is, setting the AMD 450 to specs
2.4v core, base freq 100, x4.5 displays an AMD K6-2 400 on boot up.
Setting the 450 manually at 2.4v, base freq 100, x5.0 displays the
proper AMD K6-2 450 at boot. So I don't know in reality what it's really
running at, but I'm not surpirsed NT phreaked. Does this all sound like
some timing or sync issue? Might the 1mb cache be a problem? And, might
I sooner or later expect RH6 to bite it, too?  :-O

TIA.
Frank