[ale] Cable security problem?

jj at spiderentertainment.com jj at spiderentertainment.com
Tue Sep 28 14:46:43 EDT 1999

I'm a little paranoid when it comes to security...
I have a linux box and two windows machines behind it. Using RH6.0.

Now here's the interesting part.
When using "pump" I get ip #1, it always stays the same. This ip#1 is
the same as on the windows machine before I added a linux box to masq.
It's been like 2 months now, and it never changes, I tried to request a
new IP with pump, here's what happened:
eth0(connected to cable) has ip#3 this address is not the address of the
machine!. This is what I mean, when I do a telnet session to a box at
work and look at where I came from, it shows ip#1, weird ?

When using "dhcpcd" I get ip#2 and this also stays the same. But the
eth0 has the real ip address.

Can anyone speculate on what should I do to find out what is going on ?