[ale] MAX Memory & Disk

Glenn Stone taliesin at babcom.com
Sat Sep 25 11:40:21 EDT 1999

Lucky So-and-so writes:
> 1 GIG of RAM and 54 GIG Hard Disk.
>
> My problem is the system appears to only recognize 500 megs of the RAM and
> only part of the drive.

Hmmm.  Dunno about the drive; I know the kernel (even as of 2.0.36) has the
ability to work with something that big, because Joe at Linux General
Store had an 84gb RAID array attached as one big thumping SCSI drive...
and this was before Kernel 2.2 came out.

As for the RAM... I had thunk the stock kernel handled 1gb more or less
by default (more or less being one of:

LILO boot: linux mem=1024m

or

in /etc/lilo.conf: append="mem=1024m"

I think recompile is only called for when you go beyond that.  Somehow
I can't seem to verify that this morning...

-- Glenn