[ale] Linux use by ISP]

Brian K. Murphy bmurphy at powerh.net
Thu Sep 23 23:51:12 EDT 1999

Afraid that one (FP extensions on Linux) has defeated me.  One thing I will
say in the Linux vs NT et al debate is that Windoze has a much better
install system.  I understand that someone is/was working on a "commercial
grade" install system similar to the one that is used for most Windoze
install programs.  In my very humble opinion that is one thing that keeps
many people from using Linux.  I mean its great to be able to compile qmail
or sendmail for security reasons, but does the average person really need to
do it??  It is definitely improving (with RPM's and the other packaging
programs) but it isn't quite there.  While I am on the soapbox the install
programs for the OS itself could be improved.  Once again, as a network
admin I NEED to be able to partition hard drives and such during
installation but does the average user really need to do that??  Why not
just have a "typical" install that just puts everything in one partition.
The very idea makes some people sick to their stomach, BUT it is easy.  And
for the average joe who wants a machine to get on the internet and word
process it WORKS.  I was glad to read that RH is working on a graphical
install called "Anaconda" for 6.1, but then again I would just as well see
all distributions standardize on tool like the "Lizard" install in the new
Caldera distributions.  And from the screen shots I have seen, they are just
a graphically dressed up version of the normal install routine.  You still
have to partition your hard drive by hand for example...good to be able to
do so..but not necessary for 99% of the computer using population.

Sorry for the length..I get carried away sometimes.

Keith Murphy