[ale] SCSI Card (OT)

scott at certumgroup.com scott at certumgroup.com
Thu Sep 23 22:18:18 EDT 1999

Nathaniel,

I have been in the computer biz for too long to remember and still get
bemused by SCSI teminology. But, here is the skinny on your card.
First, since it is a PCI card you shouldn't have any problems with it
getting along with your system. Sounds like you have available resources.
Second, as far as the UltraWide (UW) part is concerned, you should be okay
on the devices you mentioned. The Tekram board supports SCSI-2, Wide SCSI,
Ultra SCSI, and Ultra-Wide SCSI devices. Your Zip drive is SCSI-2 but, it
uses a 25-pin cable (like your parallel port) so you will need a 25-pin to
50-pin SCSI adapter. Your scanner is probably SCSI-2 as well. Check the
specs in the manual if you aren't sure. You may also need an adapter for it
also. Many scanners are 50-pin Centronics or 25-pin like the Zip drive.
Also, since this was posted on the ALE list, be sure to get their Linux
driver from their ftp site unless you are planning on using it under Bill's
Operating System.

Scott Hartsell
The Certum Group, Inc.
"Connecting You to the World"