[ale] NIC

J. Reeves Hall reeves at earthling.net
Wed Sep 22 14:51:04 EDT 1999

Mark Walters wrote:

> This is my first post to this group so go easy on me.

Hahahahaha!!!! Flame the newbie!!!! (just kidding :)

> I just got a new computer at work and decided to install RH 6.0.  When I
> try to set up the network the NIC isn't recognized. The NIC is a 3com
> 3c905c-TX (Tornado).  I didn't finish the installation so RH isn't
> installed.  My question is will I have to recompile the kernel to get it
> installed, or is there another way?

My instinct is no, but if it's not detected after the first bootup you
might need to. The 3C509 *is* supported by the kernel, but perhaps not by
default. You should learn how to recompile the kernel anyway; it's a useful
skill in the Linux world. After customizing several systems, rebuilding the
kernel is really a quick task.

> The computer is a Gateway E4200 with
> 128 RAM, 6.8G HDD, and a ATI Rage 128 GL AGP video card.  Also is this
> video card already in the kernel?
> Any help is appreciated
> Mark

The card needs to be supported by XFree86, not by the kernel. The kernel
only really needs text mode. Check the compatibility lists at
www.xfree86.org.

-Reeves

--
In a world without fences, why do we need Gates?
J. Reeves Hall - Georgia Tech (CS Major)