[ale] NIC

Ed Landa elanda at comstar.net
Wed Sep 22 09:30:35 EDT 1999

> I may be poking my head in where it's not wanted (if so I apologise), and I
> may misunderstand this thread, but the 3com cards are what I use for my
> machines.  They are bulletproof and well supported.  I use RH 6.0 (used them

Yes and no.  The Vortex and Boomerang driver has had a problem in which
it will lock up under high transmit load.  This has apparently been fixed in
the latest release of DBs driver, but caveat emptor, as he has supposedly
fixed this bug before.

If you are doing a lot of serving or even nightly backups, you might find
this bug biting you.  I ended up writing a script to regularly ping a router
and if not returned, reset the eth0 interface.

Ed