[ale] mounting NT shares as user

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Sep 22 07:23:52 EDT 1999

"Michael D. Hirsch" wrote:

> I've finally decided to figure out this samba and smbfs stuff.  Today I was
> able to mount an NT drive on my RedHat 6.0 box using smbmount.  The problem was
> that it was only writable by root.  I then managed to get my fstab to work with
> the NT share, too, but still only root writable.
>
> What is the proper way to make it writable by a user?  I know that for some
> filesystems you can pass a user parameter at mount time, but I can't figure it
> out with smbfs.  Also, I think somewhere I read that smbclient should be suid
> root.  It isn't on my box, but if that is the only solution, then I could live
> with it.

man smbmount says:

-u uid, -g gid
A Lan Manager server does not tell  us  anything  about the  owner  of a
file. Unix requires that each file has an owner and a group it belongs
to. With -u and -g  you can  tell  smbmount  which id's it should assign
to the files in the mounted direcory.

And it really does spell directory that way. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl