[ale] [ale-admin] Installation on AMD

Glenn Stone taliesin at babcom.com
Tue Sep 21 16:41:38 EDT 1999

> I've been told that there are problems in installing Linux on AMD K6-2. I
> currently own a K6-2 machine and am planning on purchasing a copy of Linux.
> I wanted to get know if there are any know problems and if there are
> resolutions to these.

I have an AMD K6-2 266 overclocked to 300 on a DFI P5BV3+(b) that runs like
a champ; it was up 21 straight days last time before I managed to confuse
the SCSI controller driving the CD-R and figured a reboot was in order....
It's a full house under the hood, with 2 of the 3 ISA slots and 3 of the 4
PCI's occupied as well as the AGP; I have the monster tower cooler atop
the K6-2 to keep things semi-reasonable... when the cablemodem was active
it would suck 500kb/sec off it...

Red Hat 5.2, Mandrake 5.3, and Mandrake 6.0 have run on it; currently
running kernel 2.2.10...

There are some optimizations under the later kernel versions for the
special MTRR instructions provided by the K series chips; other than
that, I hadn't noticed any problems....

-- Glenn