[ale] real weird installation problem

Zhongbin Yu " <zyu at premtec.com> Zhongbin Yu " <zyu at premtec.com>
Mon Sep 20 10:17:10 EDT 1999

Last time I looked, I think this should be considered to be bug in RedHat
installation. To me, I don't think installation should require sth more
than a running system.
At the point it's ready to install the software, the file system on hard
disks have already been mounted, so, the installation should switch to use
that instead of keeping using RAM disk, at least the /tmp file system (or
is it /var/tmp?? ) which temporararily holts RPM database or alike during
installation.

Jerry Yu
Systems Engineer	| zyu at tc.net
Premiere Technologies	| 404-262-8544(O)	1-800-979-1105 (P)
Atlanta, GA 30326	| ae.tc.net/dept/engineering/op/public/developer/zyu

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, jukebox wrote:

#thank you , it worked!!
#
#Zhongbin Yu \"jerry\" wrote:
#
#> >From my experience with similar phenomenon, I'd say try to put more
#> physical RAM to your box, even just temporarily for installation purpose.
#> I've done quite a few this way. After installation, I took away the temp
#> extra RAM, the system stil works fine.
#> If you don't have extra RAM handy, probably you need to do special low_RAM
#> installation. i.e., special boot diskettes and all. Debian has something
#> like that.
#>  Jerry Yu
#> Systems Engineer        | zyu at tc.net
#> Premiere Technologies   | 404-262-8544(O)       1-800-979-1105 (P)
#> Atlanta, GA 30326       | ae.tc.net/dept/engineering/op/public/developer/zyu
#>