[ale] Buying a dual system.

Michael Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Sep 14 10:07:26 EDT 1999

jj at spiderentertainment.com writes:

> "Mandrake (Geoff Harrison)" wrote:
>
> > yes.  you will.  BUT let me be the first to mention that by the time you're
> > ready to purchase a 2nd CPU you will likely just buy a whole new computer.
>
> Ahh perhaps, but I'm thinking about the 550 with Xion chip. Is it even worth
> getting the Xion chip thing ?
> It's been a while since I did or read anything about assembler, but from what I
> remember: If you strip all the unecessary microsoft MOV & CALL instructions a
> 486 will look better then a 586.

$$.  You get a very small performance boost for a loarge amount of
money.

For best price/performance using Intel chips, go with the Celeron
chip.  They are exactly as fast as a Pentium II (or even III,
according to many reports) at the same clock rate.  If you are a
little adventurous, they overclock extremely well.  You can also find
motherboards and/or hardware modifications supporting SMP with them.

If that isn't for you, get a dual CPU PII machine.

> > there are kernel compile flags you have to set to get the SMP kernel
> > up and running correctly (and if you do them on your non-SMP box you should
> > experience slowdown)
>
> So all I will need to do is recompile the kernel ? that's easy enough, anyting
> else ?

I think RH 6.0 offers you a choice of kernels, so there may even be a
way to get an SMP kernel from RH without a compile.

--
--Michael