[ale] Buying a dual system.

Mandrake mandrake at mandrake.net
Mon Sep 13 16:43:23 EDT 1999

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 04:26:08PM -0400, jj at spiderentertainment.com wrote:
> Busy day for me today, ahh, I hate mondays...
>
> Anyhow, I we need to purchase another system, and the system I have in
> mind is
> dual mother board with only 1 CPU.
>
> My question is, if I install RH6.0 on this system, and then later down
> the road I install another CPU, will I need to do anything special to
> Linux ?

yes.  you will.  BUT let me be the first to mention that by the time you're
ready to purchase a 2nd CPU you will likely just buy a whole new computer.

this happens to me every time.

there are kernel compile flags you have to set to get the SMP kernel
up and running correctly (and if you do them on your non-SMP box you should
experience slowdown)

--
(\)       Mandrake (Geoff Harrison)        (/)   http://mandrake.net    (\)
(|) Senior Software Engineer VA Linux Labs (|)    http://valinux.com    (|)