[ale] Linux "course" at GT?

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Fri Sep 10 10:52:36 EDT 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Rob Butera wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Chris Ricker wrote:
>
> > Actually, I suspect you're underestimating Linux usage at Tech.  People who
<<snip>>

> Just one datapoint.  It does make you worry about new Linux installations
> in the dorms who haven't even created a root password yet :) (this may
<<snip>>

<soapbox>
I contend that one of the most dangerous errors of the PC (as in desktop)
computers has been the idea/habit that administrator level security isn't
all that important. The mainframe people and the minicomputer people both
had (if I remember correctly) to learn the hard way that certain
operations must require awkward rituals (root login/su) to encourage
stability and usablility.
<\soapbox>

Thompson Freeman           Even the Immortal Brahma
                           Shaves before he hugs his mama
tfreeman at vnet.net          Karma Shave