[ale] Multi Headed Display System?

Mandrake mandrake at mandrake.net
Thu Sep 9 18:30:48 EDT 1999

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 06:21:38PM -0400, Vernard Martin wrote:
> > you'll want to grab a copy of xfree86 3.9.XX (where XX is the latest snapshot)
> > and set up to run with multiple heads using the xinerama X extension.
> > you can find out a little bit of information from the 3.9 snapshot section on
> > the xfree86 web site, iirc.
>
> Yeah, I keep hearing about this but currently that means downloading a large
> amount of data and then compiling the entire distro as well. A lot of effort to
> get binaries.
>
> Also, as best as I can tell, the number of supported card for multi-headed
> configuration it 1, the matrox series. Supposedly the latest release supports
> s3Virge cards but I really wish someone on the X team would comment on this.
>
> I'm just glad that there is going to be ahost of X Free folks at ALS'99 so I
> can pick their collective brains :-)

well, all I have is matrox cards these days.  the benefits of working for a
hardware company.  but I can say that if you can get your cards to work under
3.9 and can have more than one sit in your machine happily it should work fine.
I've successfulyl gotten it to work with a g200 and a 3dfx card.

--
(\)       Mandrake (Geoff Harrison)        (/)   http://mandrake.net    (\)
(|) Senior Software Engineer VA Linux Labs (|)    http://valinux.com    (|)