[ale] Linux "course" at GT?

Rob Butera rbutera at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 9 14:44:38 EDT 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Chris Ricker wrote:

> Actually, I suspect you're underestimating Linux usage at Tech.  People who
> work with resnet (the GT housing ethernet) have been estimating Un*x usage
> among residents at 30% - 35% for the past two or three years.  That's almost
> exclusively Linux, though there are the random oddballs running *BSD, Irix,
> Solaris, NextStep, etc....

I took an informal survey of my Computer Engineering class today, which
primarily consists of sophmores majoring in EE, CmpE, or CS -- some of the
"most likely" to be using Linux.

Of the 45 or so students, 8-10 said they had an "other" operating system
installed, in all cases Linux.  Of those 8-10, about 3-4 were really
comfortable using Linux, and the remainder were still learning and ironing
out the kinks.

Just one datapoint.  It does make you worry about new Linux installations
in the dorms who haven't even created a root password yet :) (this may
also be why ECE, and I assume other departments, groups the dorms on
campus with the "outside world" as far as firewall access is determined).

Dr. Robert Butera, Assistant Professor
Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
contact info --> http://www.ece.gatech.edu/users/rbutera/