[ale] Port assignments

J. Patrick Graves jpgraves at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 9 14:11:43 EDT 1999

Ports are part of the TCP/IP world.  And so, yes, there are ports in the
windows world if you are using TCP/IP (what you use when you connect to your
ISP).  Windows can also use other protocols (e.g. IPX) which have theie own
addressing schemes - i.e. don't use ports.

There are 65536 ports available on a server.  Services running on a server
listen to a port (e.g. www uses port 80 by default).  Clients connect through
the ports to communicate to the services.

As far as RFC, I'm not certain what you mean, but I suppose that you mean
"Does Windows respect known ports", and as far as I know, yes.  That doesn't
mean that Windows will offer the same services as Linux, and in fact Windows
by itself does not.

Hope this helps,

jpg