[ale] Request for DHCP/Linux Help

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Wed Sep 8 17:33:57 EDT 1999

I have bellsouth ADSL. I'm running RedHat 6. From linuxconf I set eth1 (my
nic that talks to the 'modem') to be dhcp. RH6 uses pump. The updated
version seems to be more reliable than dhcpcd alone. I also use my ethx as
modules since I have more than 1. I have had flakey service from
bellsouth, but that has been a few weeks. I had power-up problems for a
while. I needed to power-up the modem , wait until it was all green
lights, then boot linux. Now I can reset the modem and restart networking
and it comes up OK. I did upgrade to v6.0 from v5.2 after I had install
upgraded dhcpcd to use a 2.2.0 kernel.

Jim