[ale] winmodems

Glenn Stone taliesin at babcom.com
Wed Sep 8 12:13:09 EDT 1999

Prasanna Subash writes:
>... they have winmodems - its a HP Pavilion ).

>How do I get the modems to work. Does it mean that I have to recompile the
>kernel.

You don't.   That's why it's called WINmodem.  It's not a real modem, it's a
DSP card with delusions of grandeur, and even if it did work under Linux,
it's a major CPU hog.  Spend the bucks and get real modem(s).  USR makes
a PCI Faxmodem (make sure you get the right one, it'll say hardware: 486
instead of Pentium II) if you want an internal; best is to go external,
however, in case the link hiccups; that means you can simply power cycle
the modem and restart the link instead of power cycling the whole system
(which is asking for a power spike/thermal problem/disk crash).

Glenn Stone, RHCE
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
"I think that I think, therefore I think that I am."