[ale] Multi Headed Display System?

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Sep 8 08:53:56 EDT 1999

> does anyone know anything about setting up a system like this?
> and if so could you point me in the right direction

I did it for quite some time. I used 3 Number nine Revolution 3D cards and the
Xi Graphics Multi-Head server. I set one of the cards to be the primary display
and jumpered the other 2 cards to be slaves. Then I used XI's setup tool and
told it how many screens I had and what cards were associated with them, what
resoutions and bit depth to use and how I wanted to window sides to wrap
around.  Started up X and it worked first show.

> Ideally I would like to have 2-4 monitors or so and be able to drag apps
> between the monitors.

That is exactly what I did. You can't have an app straddle two monitors though.

I've heard you can if you use Xineram. I have no expereince with Xinerama
though.

hope this helps

Vernard
Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable   Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)