[ale] flakey CDROM drive

Michael Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Sep 7 22:00:03 EDT 1999

Ever since I upgraded my MB/CPU and moved it into a new case my CDROM
drive has been flakey.  There are some CDs it reads fine.  Others that
if finds errors in.  And some that it can't read at all.

For instance, when I put a Windows 98 upgrade disc in the drive, the
drive makes a bunch of clicky sounds, then ejects the caddy.  Now it
might be just that the new CPU has better taste in OSes that the old
one, but I'd really like to get things working again.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?  (BTW, I've had no problem
reading these discs on other machines.)  The drive is a plextor SCSI
drive circa early 1996.

Is it time to bite the bullet and just buy a new drive?  Any
suggestions on a good yet inexpensive cd-r drive?

Thanks in advance,

--
Michael