[ale] Kill banners

Chris Kilroy kilroyc at ufl.edu
Tue Sep 7 10:24:56 EDT 1999

Yeah there is a file in linux that you can select the search order.
i believe it is /etc/host.conf

though i don't know if that will help w/ this whole banners thing.  i guess it
works on cached webpages.  just make sure Netscape doesn't dump your cache that
often.

Take it easy,
Chris

Darshan Kadam wrote:

> Hi,
>         I came across the following OS/2 article which talks about an easy
>         way of getting rid of the advertisements that keep on appearing on
>         home pages.  The article in it's entirety is at:
>
>         http://www.os2ezine.com/v4n7/killbanners.htm
>
>         In there, they talk about setting a variable "USE_HOSTS_FIRST" to
>         true.  Is there something similar in Linux and if yes where would I
>         find it.  Apparently this variable tells the OS to look into the hosts
>         file first and then the DNS server.
>
>         Thanks for any help in advance.
>         ..Darshan

> Priyadarshan Kadam
>
> Bell South Telecommunications
> Atlanta, Ga                                  kadam_d at snt.bellsouth.com

-----
Christopher M. Kilroy
The Whitney Marine Laboratory - University of Florida
9505 Ocean Shore Blvd.
St. Augustine, Florida  32086
(H): 904/461-3141
(W):  904/461-4035