[ale] What's wrong, could not execute executables?

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 29 11:38:47 EDT 1999

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:48:47 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

>	Welllll....  I don't really have enough to go on, but I can make
>a couple of WAGs (Wild A** Guesses).
>	1) Are you running as root or a common user?  (WAG - root)
>	2) Are the files you are running in your current directory or
>somewhere else?  (WAG - Current directory)
>
>	Try typing this:	./name_of_program
>
>	Instead of this:	name_of_program

Except that in that case, name_of_program would produce the error
message 'command not found' instead of 'Permission denied'.

Another possibility is that the partition the program is on was mounted
without the 'exec' or 'defaults'(which includes 'exec') option.  This
will produce the symptoms noted - the program has the execute
permission bits on, but the system acts as if they're off.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at