[ale] setting up dhcp on a new install

Jeremy Fincher jfincher at cinci.rr.com
Thu Oct 28 01:16:03 EDT 1999

I will soon be reinstalling linux (having just received a second
identical hard drive, i really want to delve into software raid :-)).  I
started linux with RH 6.0 and had no problems...when I install, it asks
me how my IP address is determined, and I tell it dhcp.  No problems.

Then, a few times later, I reinstalled with RH 6.1.  RH 6.1 asks NOTHING
about my network setup.  I've installed it many (about 5 or 6) times and
have never been asked anything regarding NICs or IP addresses (am I
doing it wrong?)

So, without any knowledge about how to setup my NIC and dhcp
post-install, my current setup is 6.0, upgraded later to 6.1.  Since I'm
planning this reinstall, though, I'd like to know what I am doing so I
don't have install 6.0 and then upgrade.

So if anyone knows any good online resources (other than the LDP) or
personal experiences please send them my way so i can learn how to do
this.

Also, I am considering trying FreeBSD on this computer (at least to try
it out and compare it to linux).  If anyone has any resources on setting
up raid/dhcp on that operating system, they would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy