[ale] Plz Help root to decrypt a user PW

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 27 13:39:49 EDT 1999

> Hi
> I know exactly what I am asking and i know this is not very right. But Let me
> explain you why.
> I thought i would be able to avoid talking about that, BUT...
> Agnes was one of my parents, using my computer (before she died) and we have
> several reasons to think that she was using the same password for different
> purposes. And this is the only way that we have now to know the password
> she was  using.
> This why I am asking for your help. I will understand if you don't want to
> help  me and I am sorry yo ask you that. But I need your help.
> So please, try to understand
> Stephan

I do understand and I'm very sorry for your loss.

First of all try all the very common things in her life. You'd be
surprised how many folks use their birthday, initials, children's name's
etc. for passwords.

Then get a craker program and use it. Something like John the Ripper found
here: http://www.openwall.com/john

You'll have to download it, compile it, and read the directions, but it may
be able to help you.

But brute force or intelligent guessing are the only ways to recover
existing passwords.

I certainly hope you understand our concern about breeching security. In
the instance of /etc/shadow it's a bit safer since only root has access to
the /etc/shadow file. But still it's a concern.

BAJ