[ale] changing timezone

Bob bob at cavu.com
Mon Oct 25 11:01:05 EDT 1999

> Linux thinks it's an hour later than it actually is...but my hardware
> clock is set correctly to GMT (or UTC, or zulu time...whatever you want
> to call it).  I'm pretty sure linux just isn't sure what time zone i'm
> in, so if anyone knows how to change this, it would be helpful  :-)

Another poster suggests "timeconfig".

All timeconfig does is unlink /etc/localtime and then does a symlink from
/usr/share/zoneinfo/foo to localtime, where foo is the name of the file
defining the timezone.  The timeconfig program does not seem smart enough
to see if the specified file exists.

Do a ls on /usr/share/zoneinfo and symlink either CST4CDT or USCentral or
similar to /etc/localtime (after first unlinking /etc/localtime).  If you
want your shells to get the updated time then logout and login.  If you
want your daemons to have the updated time you will need to restart them or
reboot.

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com/sunset.html   [Sunset Computer]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.       "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"

Failure is not an option!
It comes bundled with all Microsoft products (in my opinion).
"Linux, a better way to go!"