[ale] SCSI tape

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Wed Oct 20 17:44:59 EDT 1999

> And I DEFINATELY am worried that "kill -9" won't kill it....

Relax - this is normal.

Kill will signal the process.
Unfortunately the erase ioctl is not interruptible.

If your drive goes dead without a scsi bus reset you might have
to wait for 31 hours for "mt erase" to return with an error.
( scsi timeout for this command)

There are just a few SCSI commands that normally take a long time
and have timeouts like this.

There is the question on how to interrupt an erase command and
how to restart the command since not all signals terminate a process.
.. so I guess it makes sense to not make it UN-interruptible.