[ale] UNIX equivalent of Windows DLL

John Mills Jmills at TGA.com
Tue Oct 19 14:47:33 EDT 1999

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF1A62.67C1BFF2

Kalin -

KN- 2. Can somebody point out a qood programming environment (IDE) -
KN- something like Microsoft Visual Studio (something simpler can do
KN- certainly, but it must have syntax hilighting and debugging
KN- capabilities)? It may be Linux speciffic, for X Windows or run in a
KN- terminal (console) mode.

I don't know its availability where you are, but I find the Cygnus
'Source-Navigator' quite good. There is an individual version (v.4.2 -
US$150) good for up to 100K lines of source. Builds are driven by Makefiles
so you can target whichever toolset you like. Syntax highlighting is
provided for C/C++. There is a GUI debug window, making it much easier for a
beginner to use 'gdb'. The CD copy I bought included both Linux and WinNT
installations (but you are licensed for a single user, single host
installation). It was then sold in a package with Cygnus' GNUPro toolset
(Linux only) for about US$200 total. (You can also build those tools from
free sources, and have good versions already installed in your Linux setup.)
I don't know if they are still packaged together.

I know it isn't cheap, but I find it acually does a lot more than my MS
Win** tools: analyzes your project's sources, draws usage graphs, finds
declarations and implementations of functions project-wide or by file, and
some other features. It works fine on embedded development projects, driving
cross-gcc tools you can compile. (I have actaully been more successful with
S-N/G-P than with Hitachi's toolset for the same processor.)

For me the other top candidate is venerable 'emacs' ["Eight Megabytes And
Constantly Swapping"] which has two X11 incarnations and runs 'gdb' very
nicely, too: you can compile and debug packages from multiple source
languages and seamlessly step from language to language as one source module
calls another. Emacs is scary to start on, but is context aware for a _very_
broad spectrum (Ada, C, C++, ... on through LaTex to SGML) so you can do
them all with a single user interface. The price is definitely right, too.

Emacs is not Linux specific - it runs in most unices. (I don't recommend the
Win32 version.) It has color bindings, but I found them slow (for SGML), and
not very helpful. OTOH I really liked the auto formatting in Ada which makes
it easy to create clean-looking sources. I haven't used emacs to auto-format
my C sources, but I expect it is as helpful.

Emacs will do almost everything except (AFAIK) change the cat box. Just
start simply and add to your knowledge gradually.

With due respect, I wasn't very happy with 'xwpe' - it seems a bit slow and
unstable and not to do very much - I prefer a couple of terminal windows.

  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer
  TGA Technologies, Inc.
  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140
  Norcross, GA 30071-3633
  e-mail: jmills at tga.com
  Phone: 770-441-2100 ext.124 (voice)
         770-449-7740 (FAX)

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF1A62.67C1BFF2

</pre>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DISO-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: [ale] UNIX equivalent of Windows DLL</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Kalin -</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>KN- 2. Can somebody point out a qood programming =
environment (IDE) - </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>KN- something like Microsoft Visual Studio =
(something simpler can do </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>KN- certainly, but it must have syntax hilighting =
and debugging </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>KN- capabilities)? It may be Linux speciffic, for X =
Windows or run in a </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>KN- terminal (console) mode.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I don't know its availability where you are, but I =
find the Cygnus 'Source-Navigator' quite good. There is an individual =
version (v.4.2 - US$150) good for up to 100K lines of source. Builds =
are driven by Makefiles so you can target whichever toolset you like. =
Syntax highlighting is provided for C/C++. There is a GUI debug window, =
making it much easier for a beginner to use 'gdb'. The CD copy I bought =
included both Linux and WinNT installations (but you are licensed for a =
single user, single host installation). It was then sold in a package =
with Cygnus' GNUPro toolset (Linux only) for about US$200 total. (You =
can also build those tools from free sources, and have good versions =
already installed in your Linux setup.) I don't know if they are still =
packaged together.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I know it isn't cheap, but I find it acually does a =
lot more than my MS Win** tools: analyzes your project's sources, draws =
usage graphs, finds declarations and implementations of functions =
project-wide or by file, and some other features. It works fine on =
embedded development projects, driving cross-gcc tools you can compile. =
(I have actaully been more successful with S-N/G-P than with Hitachi's =
toolset for the same processor.)</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>For me the other top candidate is venerable 'emacs' =
[&quot;Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping&quot;] which has two X11 =
incarnations and runs 'gdb' very nicely, too: you can compile and debug =
packages from multiple source languages and seamlessly step from =
language to language as one source module calls another. Emacs is scary =
to start on, but is context aware for a _very_ broad spectrum (Ada, C, =
C++, ... on through LaTex to SGML) so you can do them all with a single =
user interface. The price is definitely right, too.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Emacs is not Linux specific - it runs in most unices. =
(I don't recommend the Win32 version.) It has color bindings, but I =
found them slow (for SGML), and not very helpful. OTOH I really liked =
the auto formatting in Ada which makes it easy to create clean-looking =
sources. I haven't used emacs to auto-format my C sources, but I expect =
it is as helpful.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Emacs will do almost everything except (AFAIK) change =
the cat box. Just start simply and add to your knowledge =
gradually.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>With due respect, I wasn't very happy with 'xwpe' - =
it seems a bit slow and unstable and not to do very much - I prefer a =
couple of terminal windows.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  TGA Technologies, Inc.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  Norcross, GA 30071-3633</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  e-mail: jmills at tga.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  Phone: 770-441-2100 ext.124 (voice)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>         =
770-449-7740 (FAX)</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>