[ale] distributed.net's rc5des client slow under anything but root.

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 18 14:48:39 EDT 1999

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:05:42 -0400, Keith Morris wrote:

>also, I am very new to linux, and would like to run this as what I would
>call a "service" in NT.  i.e. have it run at system startup even before
>anyone logs on and run in the background all the time.  Is there any way to
>do this in linux.  I am using Mandrake 6.0 if that makes any difference.

Yes, this can be done.  On Slackware, it's typically done by modifying
/etc/rc.d/rc.local to run rc5des.  E.g., on my systems, I've added the
lines

echo "Running distributed.net RC5 client..."
/home/ben/bovine/rc5des -quiet&

I also use full pathnames for all of the files you can specify from
rc5des -config, so I can be sure I know where they're going(e.g., don't
specify relative pathnames).  Note that this runs rc5des as root.

I'm not sure what form of startup files Mandrake uses, but there should
be something similar.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively