[ale] Telnet for Root

Zhongbin Yu " <z.yu at premcall.com> Zhongbin Yu " <z.yu at premcall.com>
Mon Oct 11 10:49:48 EDT 1999

root is by default disallowed from telneting /ftping in.
for telnet, check /etc/securetty
for ftp, check /etc/ftpusers.

Again, it is in general a very bad idea to allow direct root access while
other ordinary users can do the job with or without some extra efforts.

Jerry Yu
Systems Engineer	| zyu at tc.net
Premiere Technologies	| 404-262-8544(O)	1-800-979-1105 (P)
Atlanta, GA 30326	| ae.tc.net/dept/engineering/op/public/developer/zyu

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Malcolm Silberman wrote:

#Any idea why I can't trelnet into my server as root. Shadow passwords
#are on. I can telnet as any other user. Thiught it may be the client
#(standard win98 telnet application), but then why can I access through
#my other users. Sounds like I am doing something stupid!
#