[ale] Modem help

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 7 13:14:38 EDT 1999

> Since the fastest a modem will go is around 50k bits per second and the
> ISA bus will transfer data at somewhat more than 20 times that rate, a
> PCI bus modem isn't going to be any faster.  The limiting factor is the
> line speed, not the bus speed.

Jim is correct. But I'd really be interested in a working PCI modem for Linux
not because of the speed, but the configurability. I've figured out that PCI
autoconfig (Plug and Play) really works whereas there is a significant dance
required to get ISA P&P working properly.

I just bought 4 Powercom ISA modems from Ginstar. They have P&P and jumpers.
Typing this message though one right now. Works like a champ. $45.

BAJ